Re: embed rather than attach

Author: vodhner@cox.net
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: embed rather than attach
Oops, I meant to send this to the list.

------

Michael, I wasn't implying anything about your intentions (your response seems to be joking, but let me make this clear), but I was just explaining why HTML email often is not well received.

In this case you know your audience, so most of my comments flat-out don't apply.

I just did this: Open an email message in HTML mode in Thunderbird; open up a few lines above and below. Went to my OOo Calc spreadsheet, highlighted some cells, and pasted them into the email. They came right across, complete with background and foreground colors.

So rather than trying to insert a document, you're inserting tabular content.

I've noticed that Calc does one thing that Excel can't do: If am looking at a tabular display in Firefox and select cells to place into a spreadsheet (sort of the reverse of what you want to do), I can do this with Calc. The lines and columns transfer perfectly. If I try to paste it into Excel, the cells get all smeared together, just as though I'd pasted into Notepad.

We have web pages at work that display our database schemas. If I want to quickly grab a list of the column names in a database table, I copy the whole table out of Firefox, use the paste-into-calc trick, and then isolate the first column. Works like a charm. That's under Windows but I presume it work the same under Linux since it would be the same programs.

Vic