Re: Problems with Knoppix

Author: Dale Farnsworth
To: mark, PLUG-discuss
Subject: Re: Problems with Knoppix
In article <> you write:
> I boot my laptop with the latest Knoppix v 5.1 CD. I then open a root
> terminal. I type
>
> md5sum /dev/hda
>
> wait........
>
> and get a number. I then repeat the experiment, and get a different number!
>
> I have not mounted nor touched the local drive hda.
>
> I tried this at runlevel 5 using the cheat code nofstab, and at runlevel 3.
> Same results.
>
> Is this normal?
>
> I wanted to copy an image of my hard drive to another disk. I did that, but
> cannot get a consistent md5sum for the local drive to compare to the image I
> copied to another drive. I wanted to compare the 2 md5sums to insure I have a
> complete copy of the disk image before I reformat the drive for another
> project.

Do you have a swap partition on hda?
(Check the output of "fdisk -l /dev/hda".) If knoppix finds
a swap partition on the local disk, it will use it by default,
which would change the md5sum of /dev/hda.

You could try booting knoppix with the noswap option.
Type "knoppix noswap" at the Boot: prompt.

-Dale Farnsworth