Re: how to fix grub error 16 from kubuntu install?

Author: Josef Lowder
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: how to fix grub error 16 from kubuntu install?
.
Thanks to all for the suggestions below.

------------------

Vic <> wrote:
> Boot from a Linux Live CD to repair your grub setup.
> Boot from *any* Windows disk in rescue mode to fix the mbr,

Next Vic sent this link:
http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/11/how-to-repair-corrupt-mbr-and-boot.html

Wayne Davis wrote
> There is a Boot disc out there called: Super Grub Loader
> It has saved my bacon several times.
> Do a google for it. It's a small .ISO you burn to a CD.
> OR, if you are near me 15av/Bell, I'll give you one. :-)

I also found the same linuxhelp.blogspot page that Vic suggested,
and have been trying some of the remedies suggested on that page,
but no success yet. I'm beginning to think that the kubuntu
install may have created a problem as fdisk -l displays partitions
that do not seem proper, i.e. "partition 2 does not end on a
cylinder boundary" Same message for partition 3. Also, when I
view the partitions with qparted via Knoppix, it appears that
there is only one single partition and not multiple partitions.

I'll download that "Super Grub Loader" to see what it might do.