Re: Cryptic Messages at startup tonight

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Cryptic Messages at startup tonight
Dazed_75 wrote:
> These showed up tonight upon booting into Ubuntu 6.10 (I have disabled
> the silent splash exactly so I get a clue occasionally when something
> unexpected happens. These were extracted from /var/log/syslog BTW and
> there were pages and pages of them. Anyone have a clue what thewy mean
> or why they are present?
>
> Mar 8 08:15:54 localhost udevd[2298]: add_to_rules: unknown key
> 'ATTRS{idVendor}'
> Mar 8 08:15:55 localhost udevd[2298]: add_to_rules: unknown key
> 'ATTRS{idProduct}'
> Mar 8 08:15:55 localhost udevd[2298]: add_to_rules: unknown key
> 'ATTRS{idVendor}'
> Mar 8 08:15:55 localhost udevd[2298]: add_to_rules: unknown key
> 'ATTRS{idProduct}'
> Mar 8 08:15:55 localhost udevd[2298]: add_to_rules: unknown key
> 'ATTRS{idVendor}'
> Mar 8 08:15:55 localhost udevd[2298]: add_to_rules: unknown key
> 'ATTRS{idProduct}'
> etc ...
>
> --

Cryptic? I'm surprised that these don't look a bit familiar to you by now.
;) They're pretty much standard log messages. udevd[2298] is the name and
pid of the process that generated the message. udevd is the udev daemon.
add_to_rules appears to be a function of udevd, unknown key is the error
identifier, and ATTRS{id...} is the specific instance that caused the error.

From the little I know, udev is something that dynamically builds the /dev/
tree in your system (used to be static). add_to_rules appears to be
something SELINUX related. SELINUX is a relatively new facility that adds
extended security capabilities to Linux. I'm guessing that udevd is trying
to create SELINUX attributes (ATTRS) for a particular device(s) and doesn't
understand what the various id's are, so these rules aren't being created
like they should be.

I can't think of a reason why anyone would want/need to use SELINUX on a
laptop, but I'm sure someone will think of one. I'm betting that if you turn
off SELINUX that the messages will go away. See
http://www.crypt.gen.nz/selinux/disable_selinux.html for details.

HTH

--
-Eric 'shubes'