Speakers and headphones?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Speakers and headphones?
My new laptop is doing well. I ran into an issue tonight when I first
tried out the headphones. I am having difficulty creating a search
string to hit what I need to find out.

When I plug in the headphones, the built-in speakers are not muted.
(Huh?) That is less than optimal. I don't know if I should blame the
hardware or some sort of driver issue. Have any of you experienced such
a thing? If so, what did you do about it?

(Rambling additional info for anyone not sleeping well tonight...)

Presently ALSA (via kmixer or alsamixer) presents me with only three
sliders: Output Master, Output PCM and Input Capture. Not much control
there. alsaconf finds "ATI Technologies Inc SB450 HDA Audio (rev 01)"
and uses the "hda-intel" driver. All very nice and working well.

A quick first-time check of the microphone recording comes up static but
I'll leave that issue for a different day.

Alan