Re: CAUTION resizing M$ Vista partitions

Author: Alan Dayley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: CAUTION resizing M$ Vista partitions
Dazed_75 wrote:

> That worked. BTW, I used the LiveCD and Qtparted to remove the extra
> partions and reformat the NTFS one before reinstalling Vista. Seems
> Vista (at least the RC1 rendition) must do something different as I
> suspected. Basicly letting a linux install resize the NTFS partition
> corrupted something Vista is doing with the MBR or boot sequence. Not a
> big surprise and it is probably something they are doing under the guise
> of security. Too bad they can't figure out how to do that without
> breaking things.
>
> CAUTION: Be wary of resizing Vista partions !!! Until someone
> understands this I won't say you can't but I will say be sure you have a
> restorable image.

First I will say that I completely agree with this caution statement.
Resizing partitions at any time can result in loss of data. Backup
first and be prepared to recover, if needed.

This weekend we purchased a new laptop with Vista Home Basic on it.
OpenSUSE 10.2 installed just fine, resizing the Vista partition without
a problem.

Booting back in Vista the first time triggered a system repair mode with
lots of dire warnings like "could not boot," "something changed" and
"repair may take several hours". It cranked for a few minutes and then
rebooted. Upon finally booting into Vista, it had to install a driver
(huh?) and then asked to reboot again. That boot was clean.

I am now back in Linux with no desire and no idea when I will ever have
to go back to the "dark partition" again.

Just one experience to add to this discussion.

Alan