Re: Linux friendly co-location in the Phoenix area

+ (text/html)
Author: Jon M. Hanson
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Linux friendly co-location in the Phoenix area
der.hans wrote:
> Am 14. Feb, 2007 schwätzte Jon M. Hanson so:
>
>>    I'm getting ready to move into a new house next month. I just found
>> out today that Cox's business Internet won't have service in my new
>> neighborhood (I use business class service because I run servers and on
>> most residential accounts that is not allowed). The location also can't
>> get traditional DSL but it can get VDSL but that also blocks a bunch of
>> ports so that won't work either. I may be stuck having to co-locate my
>> Linux box somewhere and I was hoping people on the list might have some
>> experience and recommendations to offer. I've also never done
>> co-location before so advice of things to look for and ask of a
>> co-location company would be much appreciated.

> Check with Deru before you write off DSL.
>
> Deru has a great rep ( and Darin participates on the list ). In my
> experience Deru also has people who know what they're doing.
>
> A lot of people like FastQ. I don't like that they block ping, but
> otherwise my experiences have been good.
>
> $work has ensynch and we've been less than impressed.
>
> A couple of people were posting about community-style co-lo in the last
> year or so. I don't remember details, but check the list archives.
>
> Check the archives for several other threads about co-lo.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans

    As much as I'd like to get DSL the fact that I can get VDSL makes it
physically impossible. The two technologies although they sound similar
are not compatible. If they try to qualify the address for DSL it will
say "not available due to VDSL being available." I've tried a couple of
different times both through Qwest and resellers just in case.

--
Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
Homepage:  http://the-hansons-az.net