Re: locales

Author: Jon M. Hanson
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: locales
Michael Havens wrote:
> As I try to install programs lately it seems that wile it is in process
> apt-get tells me something about 'setting locale failed'. So I
> investigated 'dselect locale', 'dselect locales', and 'apt-get locales'. The
> first two commands wanted to update and install like a thousand files per
> command while the last command wanted to update two or three. Hey, look at
> that! It is setting up 'locales' which seems to be a problem now. What are
> locales. It would seem that they are files concerning local things for
> different countries in the world. Is that an accurate guess?

    You got it correct. The locales dictate what symbols are used to
denote money, how you separate thousands places in numbers, how you
display your date and time, and it might even control characters sets
but I'm not too sure about the last one.

--
Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
Homepage:  http://the-hansons-az.net