Mesa Regal Followup

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: PLUG List
Subject: Mesa Regal Followup
Just want to post some info for posterity if nothing else.

The IF went very well. Dennis has the official data. I think we did 17
installs and they all went fairly well, with problems limited to the usual
stuff (wireless, dialup) for the most part.

There is/was one notebook however that was particularly troublesome. I
brought it home with me and tried all sorts of things to get it to boot
grub, to no avail. It would simply show "GRUB" in the top left corner of the
screen, and hang (which was the original symptom). This is a Toshiba M30
"special edition". It was special all right. :(

Anywise, the one bit I found that I wanted to share concerns recovering the
MBR. The current systemrescuecd (v0.3.2) can now do this:
# install-mbr -v -p 1 /dev/hda
This makes the first partition (XP in this case) bootable, and sucessfully
restored booting capability to that partition (after grub was installed in
the MBR and failed to do its thing).

I ended up adding the grub boot sector to the windows boot manager, so now
the machine dual boots ok, but not natively grub. In fact, you can bounce
back and forth between the boot managers and it works just fine
(XP-->grub-->XP-->grub-->XP...).

If anyone's really interested in what I did (and didn't) try, just ask. I
don't want to waste much more time with it though. It went back to its
owner last night.

--
-Eric 'shubes'