Re: Scanning TO a Linux system?

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Scanning TO a Linux system?
Patrick C wrote:
> Couldn't you just have your Linux machine act as a Samba server, and
> then have Windows mount it as P: or whatever, and then just tell it to
> scan to that drive.

Oh, absolutely... but then it wouldn't be as flexible a solution as it
could be. When my household computer re-org is done, the only system
that I'm planning on having running 24x7 guaranteed is a Linux server.
I currently have a WindowsXP instance running 24x7 inside of vmware and
I could continue to do that... but I was sorta planning on putting that
into standby or suspend mode most of the time in the future. Having a
"pure" Linux solution opens up a lot of possibilities.

For instance, I could create a quick perl smtp server that runs on
DD-WRT on my wrt54g that would accept any and all emails, pipes them
through munpack/metamail/ripmime and stores the result on a NFS/Samba
share mounted from my server. I don't know that I would... but I
*could* and that means a lot to me :-)