Re: AMD64 and xgl recommendations

Author: Dennis Kibbe
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: AMD64 and xgl recommendations
On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 10:57 -0800, Josh Coffman wrote:
> Also, if you are considering putting windows on this box... XP does
> not automatically support booting on SATA drives.

I don't think this is true any longer. At least not with WinXP & SP2.
I just installed XP on a Pentium D (Dual Core) with two SATA drives --
no problem.

>I don't know about writing DVD's from linux, but the install from and
>reading from just worked.

Writing DVDs or CDs shouldn't be a problem with any current distro.

While it seems to be hard to find MicroBTX boards at the moment. The
BTX format does offer a better thermal solution for Intel CPUs since
most of the components are inline with the air flow though the case.
I've built a couple of boxes using Intel MicroBTX boards and either
CoolerMaster or Chenbro MicroBTX cases and they have been very quiet and
cool.

Dennisk

--
Phoenix Linux Users Group