Firefox configuration management

Author: George Toft
To: PLUG Discuss
Subject: Firefox configuration management
I need to set up a Linux workstation (Computers for Families project)
that filters content. The workstation is an edubuntu install. Users
have a generic login, separate from the admin, and the root account is
locked. I added Squid and DansGuardian, which works perfectly once the
Firefox connection settings are set to 127.0.0.1:8080. Problem is that
any user can override this setting in their local profile.

Is there an elegan way to prevent a user from changing this setting and
surfing the sites of ill repute?

Kluge/Hackjob method 1:
I guess I could implement a cronjob that checks to see if firefox has
any established port 80 connections, then kills it. Pretty Draconian,
but it will get the point across. Make pref.js read-only for the user
which restores the proxy settings. Pretty inconvenient for the user :(

Thoughts?

--
George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
623-203-1760