dual nic interface

Author: Nathan Aubrey
To: PLUG List
Subject: dual nic interface

All,

I have a new server which has a broadcom netxtreme II nic with dual ports.
The ports are numbered physically on the box port1 and port2
eth0 = port2

I assumed eth1 = port1
But when I assign each an IP address, both addresses are only visible through
port 2.
I hope this makes sense.

port 1 = 10.0.1.75
port 2 = 10.0.1.9

I only plug a network cable into port 2
I can ping both IP addresses. If I plug a cable into port 1 I cannot ping
anything.

This is a Dell PowerEdge with the TCP/IP Offload system, which is dis-abled. I
am not familiar with offload engine, is the other port only used with this
system?

I assumed the dual nic interface just meant I could use each interface
uniquely... Am I wrong? I typically use dual nics, but wanted to try this
one.

Thanks for any info.

nathan

PaysonLinux User Group
Community Based Linux Support
http://www.paysonlinux.org/

Business Consulting Services,
Advanced Network and Server Design,
Security Solutions,
Process Management and Efficiency Consultations