Re: How to send email from the command line?

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: How to send email from the command line?
Am 12. Jan, 2007 schwätzte Josef Lowder so:

> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 18:30:31 -0700, Dan Lund wrote
>> On 1/12/07, Josef Lowder <> wrote:
>>> I'm still trying to figure out how to send plain text
>>> email messages from the command line.
>>> What would be the simplest way to do this?
>
>> With the mail command. Such as:
>>
>> Echo "hello" | mail -s subjectline

Yup, mail or mailx is the way to go.

> However, I found my previous notes on this subject and
> now recall that some suggested that 'postfix' would be
> better (and safer) to use than 'sendmail'
>
> Is that correct? And if so, how do I acquire and install it?

Depends on your distribution. Hopefully you've got apt-get, aptitude or
yum setup.

The install should ask you a couple of questions and set it up for you.

The regular install should be able to handle a simple setup, which is
likely all you need.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators  https://LOPSA.org/
#  "Luckily, this is a comic book, for which no idea is too complex."
#    -- Larry Gonick from The Cartoon History of the United States