Re: threaded mp3 encoder

+ (text/html)
Author: Mike Schwartz
To: Nathan Aubrey, Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Mike L Schwartz
Subject: Re: threaded mp3 encoder
On 1/11/07, Nathan Aubrey <> wrote:

> I archive an internet radio show in mp3 and keep it on my web site. I got
> new computer that is dual core and rocks for editing audio and video. I
> started compressing all my wav files to mp3 and discovered that while
> extremely fast at encoding, it is only using one core of the processor and
> never uses more than 50%.
>
> Does anyone know a threaded mp3 encoder that I could use? Has anyone
> played
> with this before?
>
> nathan

I do not know the answer (sorry);
but just to caution against premature optimism,
I think some algorithms (data compression, etc.)
"lend" themselves to being sped up,
(by taking advantage of the use of parallel hardware)
more than others.
I really don't have any clue whether that applies
in this case; but, it might.
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale AZ