Re: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sourcing a script is indeed a handy feature. I've used it to invoke a script
that sets environment variables that need to 'stick'. It indeed can be used
to define functions as well, creating a library.

If there's an occasion where your script needs to be invoked both ways
(sourced and 'normal') and the script needs to return/exit (with a return
value), here's a way I've used to accomplish this:

myname=name-of-this-script
if [ "`basename $0`" == $myname ]; then
retexit=exit
else
retexit=return
fi

Then simply "$retexit 0" where appropriate, and the script will either exit
or return depending on whether it was sourced or not. A library would always
need to be sourced of course, but there might come a time where you'd want
to be able to invoke a script either either way.

My .02

--
-Eric 'shubes'