Re: strange erratic behavior..Memory testing

Author: eculbert
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: strange erratic behavior..Memory testing
Josef, and others.

All knoppix, at least thru this summer, have memtest86
on them. It is a small CLI type program with minimum
graphics.

To start it, put a knoppix disk (or any live and some
install disks that have it on them) in and boot from
it ONLY AT THE BOOT PROMPT enter the following:
'memtest' and hit the return/enter button!! It then
starts the small routine to test the ram on your
system.

--- Josef Lowder <> wrote:

> .
> My Mandriva 2006 system, which has been very stable
> for several months,
> just started to have a very strange, erratic
> behavior. I have not made
> any changes, and have not installed anything new
> recently.
>
> When I move the mouse pointer over any one of the
> four desktop boxes
> on the status line, the system just goes crazy
> flashing each of the
> different desktop wallpaper images.
>
> When I move the mouse pointer over the start button,
> the start menu
> flashes on the screen and disappears, therefore I
> cannot do anything
> from the start menu.
>
> I was able to shutdown and restart by switching to a
> different console,
> but after rebooting, the problem remains the same.
>
> When I open a terminal window inside the GUI, I can
> enter commands
> as long as the result does not exceed the size of
> the window, but if
> it does, as in a directory listing with more than 20
> lines then the
> display goes crazy scrolling over and over without
> stopping, so I have
> to kill the window to get it to stop.
>
> I tried changing batteries in the wireless mouse but
> that didn't help.
>
> What in the world might be causing this and how can
> I fix it?

Ed Culbertson/ke7feg
Remember Katrina?
For several days, only hams could get out,
and talk to others dependably.

No Morse Code required for Technician class licensee's. Interested? http://www.arrl.org/

Long live Knoppix, and Puppy Live Linux cd's.