Re: root user and any GUI

+ (text/html)
Author: Dazed_75
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: root user and any GUI

Same result as below except that it says root@ being added ...

> xhost +root@ldesk which also fails with:
> >
> > > root@ldesk being added to access control list
> > > X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range
> for
> > > operation)
> > > Major opcode of failed request: 109 (X_ChangeHosts)
> > > Value in failed request: 0xfe
> > > Serial number of failed request: 7
> > > Current serial number in output stream: 9
>
> I get same. Looking at code, but don't know. I will research this.
>
> "sudo xterm" worked for my on Ubuntu.

Works but all it does is open a new xterm as root.

Usually it doesn't on other systems I use.

> Also try as root:
>
> export XAUTHORITY=/home/yourloginuser/.Xauthority

Didn't help but I don't know what you meant by "set HOME again".

And then you can open X clients as root. (I already have that as my normal
> user account on Ubuntu and sudo doesn't lose this environment variable.)
> You may also need to set HOME again.

and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss