Re: Learning C++

Author: Jeff Garland
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Learning C++
Patrick C wrote:
> At my school, we will soon be attending a state-wide competition with
> various tests. I'm participating in Java Programming, C++ Programming,
> and Networking concepts. The problem is that I don't know any C++. I've
> heard (and seen) that Java and C++ are similar, and I was wondering if
> there are any guides to C++ designed for someone who already has a basic
> understanding of Java. Any ideas?

Here's an online tutorial for Java to C++.

http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs123/javatoc.shtml

That said, if your knowledge is only basic you might just want to start
learning C++ directly. I suggest you try "Thinking in C++" (there's Thinking
in Java, etc as well). You can download the PDF version from here:

http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

There's several books directly on the subject Java to C++ transition. Try
this google search:

http://tinyurl.com/tzowy

HTH,

Jeff