Why multiple distros WAS Why not Grub as master boot loader

Author: JT Moree
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Why multiple distros WAS Why not Grub as master boot loader
Eric "Shubes" wrote:
> JT Moree wrote:
>> I have 5 distros installed and a lot of kernels.
>>
> The purpose of which is what?
>
> I used to have 3 distros on my desktop machine, settled into one, and
> ditched the others. I'm a bit more productive now.

Various reasons:
*I still have windows although I dont use it much
*I run 64bit distros but still need a 32bit distro from time to time.
Like before OOo was supported in debian based 64bit distros. until the
other day I was running mplayer from debian32 as well.
*I prefer debian/deb based distros but at work we use Fedora
*to keep up with the developments on those distros
*to try out new distros from time to time (vmware and qemu are helping
to ease that process)
*if something doesn't work in one it might work in one of the others.

Take hugin for example. Ideally, the it would have worked in fedora
after i could not get it to work in Kubuntu. Since that didn't work I
moved on to Debian with little hope that it would work since Kubuntu is
debian based. After all that, I relented and used windows. I'll
eventually get hugin to work in kubuntu but multibooting gave me other
avenues to try.

- --
JT Morée
PC Xperience, Inc.