Re: GAG boot loader needs improvement IMHO

Author: JT Moree
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: GAG boot loader needs improvement IMHO
Eric "Shubes" wrote:
> Is there some reason you don't simply put /boot in a separate partition?
>
> If/when the mbr gets clobbered, restoring grub to the mbr is easy. Simply
> boot a knoppix or rescue cd and:
> # grub
> grub> root (hd0,0)
> grub> setup (hd0)
> grub> quit
> # reboot

Yes, that's what I used to do. I was using one that doesn't go with any
system and storing other cross system data there too like a map of
partitions.

I'm tired of doing it that way. This is the process I have recently
gone thru:

which /boot do I use? The one for kubuntu or debian or Fedora or . . .
perhaps the one that I mostly use as the primary desktop?
What about when I change from debian to kubuntu as my primary desktop
and blow debian away?
So I made it a sorta standalone grub.
how do I update grub if it's not tied to a particular distro? Mount the
grub partition on any random distro that I choose and run grub-install
/dev/hda. That might work but some distros compile grub to use slightly
different file names than others and it might not work. There may be
other issues also.

Yes I can and might go back to using Grub as the primary boot loader but
for now GAG is working nicely. It just looks dated.

- --
JT Morée
PC Xperience, Inc.

believed to be clean.