Re: How to fix multiple WARNING messages

Author: JT Moree
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: How to fix multiple WARNING messages
Josef Lowder wrote:
> .
> When I start certain application programs from the command line,
> I often see multiple "WARNING" lines (as many as 50+ at a time)
> like the example below. The application runs fine, but getting
> all these warning lines is a nuisance. How can I correct this?
>
> For example, when I start 'kview' (with or without a named target
> file such as example.jpg) this always happens.
>
> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::plugAccel(): call to deprecated action.

I'm not a kde programmer but I'd guess that the app is calling old APIs.
The programmer probably needs to update it.

You can redirect the stdout and stderr to /dev/null when running from
cli so that you dont get the messages.

kview 2>/dev/null > /dev/null

You might want to write a wrapper if you're doing this with a lot of
programs

mywrapper kview

#!/bin/sh
#mywrapper script to redirect output from given command
APP=$1
shift 1
$APP $@ > /dev/null 2>/dev/null

- --