Re: Running linux in a RAM drive, was flash bootable Linux

Author: JT Moree
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Running linux in a RAM drive, was flash bootable Linux
> This is what Linux initial RAM disk (initrd) does in effect. initrd is
> used to load kernel modules during boot before the / directory is
> available.

yes if you are going with this approach then you'll probably want to
build a custom initrd where you replace init with your own script that
doesn't mount and pivot onto the hard disk. It would just need to mount
and start copying. The initrd is not big enough for a full system so
you need to mount a RAM filesystem too. I can't recommend one right
now. There's cramfs but it's limited in size I think. ramfs, cachefs,
. . .
- --
JT Morée
PC Xperience, Inc.