Re: Wanted: Flash Drive bootable Linus Info.

Author: David Bendit
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Wanted: Flash Drive bootable Linus Info.
On Nov 14, 2006, at 11:46 AM, Mike Schwartz wrote:

> I realize that this thread may be "done" already (case closed),
> but just for my 0.02,  I happened to notice that at
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damn_Small_Linux
> it specifically states (in the intro, even above the TOC) that:
> << "Due to the small size of the complete distribution, it will run
> on smaller storage devices than most other OSes, including bootable
> business card, 64Mb USB Flash Drive , CompactFlash card (through
> IDE connector) and ZIP drive." >>
> Since you had stated,
> > [...]  preferably on a 1GB or smaller flash drive?
> I thought this might be of interest.

This is true, however, DSL is a LiveCD-like environment that the
original post specifically wants to avoid. Sure, there's some level
of modifiability with the use of the DSL packaging system, but
there's still no way to save files and documents between boots
(unless they changed something recently...I could be wrong). Only way
to do that with DSL would be to have 2 partitions on the USB drive,
one for the DSL stuff, the other as a home dir. Then, you'd need to
mount the other partition on every boot, or re-master the DSL
partition as a whole. Messy stuff.

- -David