Re: sound not working = slight problem

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
New-Topics: Re: sound not working = slight problem (USB pripherals too)
Subject: Re: sound not working = slight problem
On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 14:10 -0700, Michael Havens wrote:
> DUDE! You're right.... it is an ISA card.
> Sorry for the confusion. I was wondering why it wasn't lspci too!
>
> Well the closest I can find to an lsisa is isadump but after inspecting the
> manpage for it that doesn't seem right. I had it working setting it up as an
> alsa soundcard using the command:
>     amixer groups; amixer set PCM 100 unmute

> check this out: (found with 'apropos isa')
>     wavelan (4)          - AT&T GIS WaveLAN ISA device driver
>     airo (4)             - Driver for the Aironet 802.11 ISA/PCI/PCMCIA 4500 &
>         4800 and Cisco 340

> what I'm thinking is one of these might be the driver that was used in the
> prior OS (mepis.10.02)<that's right I haven't updated anything in 3 years!>
> If I'm correct I get to embark on a new adventure: setting a device driver!

----
the newer version of Mepis likely uses 2.6 kernel where the older one
likely used 2.4 kernel and I believe that the Fedora versions of 2.6
kernel doesn't deal with ISA devices unless recompiled. There likely
isn't a module that will work unless you compile support for ISA
devices...the simple solution, go buy a cheap PCI sound card (if you
have an available PCI slot).

Craig