Re: None of my USB devices work.

+ (text/html)
Author: Dazed_75
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: None of my USB devices work.
1) Whenever you see something like your last 2 lines:

can't get hub descriptor: Operation not permitted
cannot read device status, Operation not permitted (1)

try prepending sudo, sudo lsusb -v will work.

2) If you are plugging your usb devices into jacks on the fron of your case,
check if they are actually connected. Many cases have them available but
not all builders connect them (especially since in the days of usb 1.1 some
motherboards did not have connectors.

3) Although usb 2.0 is preferable, most usb 2.0 devices will function
plugged into a 1.1 port albeit with some limitations.

On 10/29/06, Michael Havens <> wrote:

> here is some more info if it helps
> bmike1@0[dev]$ lsusb -v
>
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               1.10
>   bDeviceClass            9 Hub
>   bDeviceSubClass         0 Unused
>   bDeviceProtocol         0
>   bMaxPacketSize0        64
>   idVendor           0x0000
>   idProduct          0x0000
>   bcdDevice            2.06
>   iManufacturer           3
>   iProduct                2
>   iSerial                 1
>   bNumConfigurations      1
>   Configuration Descriptor:
>     bLength                 9
>     bDescriptorType         2
>     wTotalLength           25
>     bNumInterfaces          1
>     bConfigurationValue     1
>     iConfiguration          0
>     bmAttributes         0xc0
>       Self Powered
>     MaxPower                0mA
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        0
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           1
>       bInterfaceClass         9 Hub
>       bInterfaceSubClass      0 Unused
>       bInterfaceProtocol      0
>       iInterface              0
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
>         bmAttributes            3
>           Transfer Type            Interrupt
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0002  1x 2 bytes
>         bInterval             255
> can't get hub descriptor: Operation not permitted
> cannot read device status, Operation not permitted (1)
> bmike1@0[dev]$

> On Sunday 29 October 2006 9:14 am, Michael Havens wrote:
> > /dev/ttyUSB* is gone. How do I fix this? I would think that I would
> > link /dev/USB* to whatever the device is called in it's current form.
> > HEY! Isn't that neat? I figured it out all on my own.
> > (I kind of suspected as much when I tried to link USB* to jpilot)

and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss