Re: apache config wows

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: apache config wows
keith smith wrote:

> Hi Again!
>
> Ok so it has been a long time since I configured
> Linux, Apache ETC.
>
> Back to my AMD500 server. It had 384RAM and it is a
> dev sever for PHP/MySql and hopefully AJAX.
>
> Fedora Core 5.
>
> I have a private net 192.168.xxx.xxx and static IP's
> on this box and my Win XP-Home laptop.
>
> I have one test virtual host netcodeman.dev and am
> trying to get phpMyAdmin working.
>
> CONFIGURATION
> =============
> XP-Home : /windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts :
>
> added 2 lines
> 192.168.xxx.xxx netcodeman.dev
> 192.168.xxx.xxx pma.dev
>
> -----
> AMD500
> ------
> added 2 lines to /etc/hosts
>
> 192.168.xxx.xxx    netcodeman.dev
> 192.168.xxx.xxx    pma.dev

> In my /etc/httpd/config
>
> Uncommented NameVirtualHost *:80
> added:
>
> ##begin netcodeman.dev
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>     DocumentRoot /var/www/html/netcodeman.dev
>     ServerName netcodeman.dev

> </VirtualHost>
> ##End netcodeman.dev
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>     DocumentRoot
> /usr/share/phpMyAdmin-2.9.0.2-all-languages
>     ServerName pma.dev

> </VirtualHost>
> ---
> restarted httpd - not errors
> ---
> =======
> On the server if I type localhost into the browser I
> get:
>
> Index of /
> [ICO]    Name    Last modified    Size    Description
> [DIR]    netcodeman.dev/    24-Oct-2006 16:59     -
> Apache/2.2.0 (Fedora) Server at localhost Port 80
> -----
> If I type : http://netcodeman.dev/

> I get the output of netcodeman.dev/index.php
>
> If I type:http://pma.dev/
>
> I get the output of netcodeman.dev/index.php
>
> ---
> I've read http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/ and
> beleive I'm conforming to named vhosts.
>
> Any help much appreciated.
> Keith
>
> - - - - - - -
> Keith Smith
> - - - - - - -
> http://travelingcheese.com/search_engine/increase-search-engine-traffic.html
> - - - - - - -

If you're using virtual hosts, I don't think you want to add them to the
/etc/hosts file. I don't know if that's your problem or not, but I have
several virtual hosts w/ no /etc/hosts entry.

Your httpd.conf looks fine to me (as long as there is no ServerAlias defined).

Note from the httpd.conf file:
# The first VirtualHost section is used for requests without a known
# server name.
You probably want to use one that's not netcodeman.dev.
--
-Eric 'shubes'