Re: Querying Linux for Hardware Info

Author: John Seth
To: daniyel95, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Querying Linux for Hardware Info
'cat /proc/cpuinfo' and 'uname' are the two best suggestions I've heard,
but in regards to memory, 'cat /proc/meminfo' while the best, I'm
surprised I've yet to hear "free". 'free' normally report in KB,
whereas 'free -m' will report in MB, as usual, check 'man free'.

$ free
Mem:     515956     368960     146996          0      21660     187544
-/+ buffers/cache:  159756     356200
Swap:   1004052        220    1003832

$ free -m
Mem:        503        365        137          0         21        183
-/+ buffers/cache:     161        342
Swap:       980          0        980

This is on a machine w/ 512MB RAM.

hth,