Re: Querying Linux for Hardware Info

Author: Brant Evans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Querying Linux for Hardware Info
You can get the cpu info by issuing "cat /proc/cpuinfo". You may want
to pipe it through grep and get model name if you only care about the
type of processor.

On this system there are 2 cpu's reported, but it is physically one
processor with hyper-threading turned on. As can be seen by the
"physical id", "core id", and "cpu cores" fields.

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 2994.333
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pni
monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
bogomips        : 5990.83

processor       : 1
[...]
bogomips        : 5984.20

For the memory info you can issue "cat /proc/meminfo". The first line
is the total amount of RAM

# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      2041668 kB
MemFree:         33668 kB
Buffers:         72572 kB
Cached:        1574008 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:        1428060 kB
Inactive:       427768 kB
HighTotal:     1146048 kB
HighFree:         8832 kB
LowTotal:       895620 kB
LowFree:         24836 kB
SwapTotal:     3145720 kB
SwapFree:      3145560 kB
Dirty:             136 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:         255676 kB
Slab:           102004 kB
Committed_AS:   623832 kB
PageTables:       4932 kB
VmallocTotal:   106488 kB
VmallocUsed:      5496 kB
VmallocChunk:   100932 kB
HugePages_Total:     0
HugePages_Free:      0
Hugepagesize:     2048 kB

You could also get the RAM size from the free command

[root@phxtsolnx ~]# free
Mem:       2041668    2008312      33356          0      72656    1573924
-/+ buffers/cache:     361732    1679936
Swap:      3145720        160    3145560

Brant