Re: .bashrc

Author: vodhner@cox.net
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: .bashrc
A directory must have the "execute" bit set to allow it to be navigated to.
This won't work:
drw-rw-rw-   57 bmike1   bmike1       4096 2006-10-23 18:43 bmike1

You need the execute bit for each category who should have permissions.

In this case, even bmike1 is not allowed to navigate inside this directory, so the .bashrc can't be executed.

Vic

---- wrote:

=============
So I rebooted but that didn't help any. Infact it made it worse! It wouldn't boot. So I stuck a live disk in and chmod 777 but it still wouldn't boot! Would someone look at my box if I bring it to the meeting tonight? Whic way from bell would I drive, north or south?

-----
Okay: here is what Is happening in bash starting from a root user:

    root@2[/]# su
    root@2[/]# su bmike1
    bash: /home/bmike1/.bashrc: Permission denied
    bmike1@2[/]$ ls -l /home/bmike1/.bashrc
    ls: /home/bmike1/.bashrc: Permission denied
    bmike1@2[/]$ ls -l /home/bmike1/
    ls: /home/bmike1/Desktop: Permission denied
    [truncate]
    ls: /home/bmike1/hs_err_pid16598.log: Permission denied
    total 0
    bmike1@2[/]$ chmod 670 /home/bmike1/.bashrc
    chmod: failed to get attributes of `/home/bmike1/.bashrc': Permission
        denied
    bmike1@2[/]$

I then checked the user and it seems to have switched users even though it said permission denied.

    bmike1@2[/]$ su
    Password:
    root@2[/]# ls -l /home/bmike1/.bashrc
    -rwxrwxrwx1  bmike1  bmike1  123 2006-10-23 18:43 /home/bmike1/.bashrc
    root@2[/]#

So as we can see the owner setting is correct and permisions seem to be a bit open. Which lead me to think that maybe maybe the directory bmike1's permissions

    root@2[/]# ls -l /home/
    total 32
    drw-rw-rw-   57 bmike1   bmike1       4096 2006-10-23 18:43 bmike1
    [truncate]
    root@2[/]#

Is that the problem? the 'others bit is an empty set? I remember that directory permissions are slightly differant.

    root@2[/]# chmod 771 /home/bmike1
    root@2[/]# su bmike1
    bmike1@2[/]$

It seems as if that was the problem. I'll save this as a draft and reboot.... Let's see what happens!

That