Re: mySQL and full text indexing

+ (text/html)
Author: Joshua Zeidner
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: mySQL and full text indexing
Josh,

If you are talking about implementing advanced search functionality for a
large data set, you should really think about using Lucene or Nutch. There
is also Senna which is specifically for MySQL, but it is relatively new...

http://forge.mysql.com/projects/view.php?id=144

-jmz

On 10/23/06, Josh Coffman <> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anyone have an experience or opinions on full text indexing with MySQL?
> We currently use MS SQL with full text indexing, and its a pain.
> We are preparing for our db to add tens of millions of rows soon;
> currently those tables are in the 600,000 - 800,000 range. So its a big
> jump.
> This data is fed to us and reloaded nightly. This data is used by
> websites, and traffic increases with time.
>
> I'm concerned about performance in general, especially in text searches.
> In case the topic starts to come up, I'd like to have any idea how MySQL
> well would handle something like this. Or PostGre for that matter. Any
> difference between running those DB's on linux versus Windows?
>
> Thanks
> -j

.0000. communication.
.0001. development.
.0010. strategy.
.0100. appeal.

JOSHUA M. ZEIDNER
IT Consultant

++power; ++perspective; ++possibilities;
( 602 ) 490 8006