Re: New laptop woes - looking for help

Author: Alan Dayley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
New-Topics: XGL - West Side Meeting, Tuesday, Oct. 24th
Subject: Re: New laptop woes - looking for help
Dazed_75 wrote:
> I bought a Toshiba P105-6104

I have a Toshiba M105-S3041. I'm very happy with it and OpenSUSE 10.1.
I put up a review at
http://plug.phoenix.az.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=103&Itemid=27

> Resizing the NTFS partition to permit dual boot:
>     * SUSE 10.1 resized NTFS although XP Media Center Edition had to do
>       a chkdsk on startup

I did this also. No other problems.

> Between bullets 3 & 4 above I ran the machine with no Windows partition
> at all. The results noted below were checked there and then reverified
> for SUSE now that I have restored XP MCE and then reloaded SUSE.
>
> 1440x900 Display:
>
>     * SUSE 10.1 booted right into 1440x900 (lower resolutions available)
>       but displays an artifact in the lower right corner of the screen
>       but ONLY for the desktop background.  It does not show up for any
>       window which covers it.  The artifact looks like a line of morse
>       code about 1 inch above the bottom and about 2 inches long
>       reaching the right edge.

I did not have any issues with my screen but it is smaller at 1280x800.

> Intel 82801G Sound:

I have had no issues with sound except on occasion when the Macromedia
Flash apparently does something to kill it. In these cases I have to
logout and back in to restore the sound. Double check that you volume
settings are not muted or some other thing.

BTW, I just noticed that my online review lists a "Realtek ALC861 sound
card" which is not correct (copy and paste error from another review).
lspci shows:

# lspci -v -s 00:1b
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Unknown device ff00
        Memory at d0340000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-
        Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
        Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
        Capabilities: [130] Unknown (5)

If you have that same device, you should have success, I'd think.

> Software Updates for SUSE 10.1:

You have options to get past this:

- - Install the SMART Package Manager and use it instead of YaST when
doing software updates.  Instructions:
http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=SMART_Package_Manager    This is
what I do.

- - Use the "remastered" OpenSUSE 10.1 ISOs to install from. They rolled
many updates and fixes, including update problem fixes, into the
installation media. http://en.opensuse.org/Download

Alan