Re: Linux on laptop

+ (text/html)
Author: keith smith
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Linux on laptop
Replying to my own post :)

Under Linux I seem to recall eratic mouse actions. The built in mouse would jump all over the place. I'd be creating a document and the mouse would jump to another line and I would start inserting text there. Happened often. Happened with W$2000 too. Never found a reason.

Keith

keith smith <> wrote: Hi Guys and Gals,

I have this old (4 year old) Toshiba laptop, 1066MHz Celeron, 256M RAM, and other stuff like a funky display as I recall needed some adjustment under Linux to work properly, and a D-link DWL-G650 wireless card.

Anyone see any reason I could not install Fedora Core 5 or Ubuntu on it.

I seem to recall I loaded Mandrake 7 or 8 on it 3+ years ago and it ran good, with the exception of the wireless card and the display adapter (intel 830m). I know Linux likes more resources these days and is more plug and play.

I did load Fedora Core 5 on an AMD 500 / 256M RAM - it is marginally slow in X. I'm wondering if I double the RAM if that would make any real difference since free show a limited amount of swap being used?

I tried to go M$ free in 2000 and did so for about 8 months. It was tough. Switched back to M$ for desktop stuff. I'm hoping to go mostly (my wife's Dell runs XP-Pro) M$ free and this would be step 2 or 3 in the process.

Any feedback much appreciated.
Keith

Keith Smith
http://travelingcheese.com/search_engine/increase-search-engine-traffic.html