Re: sabayon (was fc6 slip)

Author: Craig White
To: nathan, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: sabayon (was fc6 slip)
On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 22:19 -0700, Nathan England wrote:
> I have played with all of them at some point or another and I try to install
> every new version that comes out just to see what's new.
>
> I still run archlinux on all my stuff as it is extremely fast, has just about
> every package I have ever wanted, is extremely fast, updates like a charm and
> I've never had any form of update problem. And did I mention it's really
> fast? It's faster than all the gentoo systems I've used...
>
> The only thing is, I haven't tried a 3D desktop yet, as I just don't see the
> point...
>
> But hey, mp3's play right out of the box!
>
> http://www.archlinux.org/

----
just a bit of commentary...

One of the things I like about Fedora is that MP3's DON'T play right out
of the box.

Fedora (like Debian) embraces the Red Hat philosophy of not including
binary only packages and not including packages whose license is not
compatible with GPL license.

Why is that important?

Because it draws the distinction between that which is open source and
that which isn't.

While I appreciate that it's easier to simply jump on Ubuntu or
evidently archlinux or ??? and start playing MP3 files, flash, Windows
Media Player documents, ATI or nVidia 3d, ndiswrapper, etc., I think it
does a disservice because it encourages usage of proprietary stuff at
the detriment of the open source standards.

I sort of like the concept of having to specifically enable alternate
repositories and I think that consciously having to install the specific
software is a reminder that this isn't open source - sort of like a
fraternity initiation (thank you sir, may I have another?)

Sooner or later, people have to value their commitment to open source
standards.

Craig