Re: apache SSL help

Author: alex@crackpot.org
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: apache SSL help
Quoting Craig White <>:

> I don't know much at all about apache directives.
>
> I am using this to ensure that all connections to this system require
> SSL because I don't want user login names/passwords sent un-encrypted...
>
> RedirectPermanent /drupal https://cms.tobyhouse.com
> RedirectPermanent /cms https://cms.tobyhouse.com
> RedirectPermanent http://cms.tobyhouse.com https://cms.tobyhouse.com
>
> <Directory "/var/www/html/drupal">
> SSLRequireSSL
> </Directory>
>
> It turns out that my life would be much simpler if I could allow one
> 'url' within this tree to be unencrypted...(especially from localhost if
> possible)
>
> http://cms.tobyhouse.com/modules/civicrm/extern/soap.php
>
> Is there a way to accomplish?

You need 2 virtual hosts. One for normal http, and the other for
https. I just wrote these samples off the top of my head, so you
might need to check the syntax in the docs, but this setup will work.

NameVirtualHost 0.0.0.0

<VirtualHost 0.0.0.0:80>
ServerName cms.tobyhouse.com
Redirect / https://cms.tobyhouse.com/