Re: Trying to compile Balsa on Mandrake

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Trying to compile Balsa on Mandrake
On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 07:22, JD Austin wrote:
> Fore redhat I install both yum and apt to get out of dependency
> nightmares pretty painlessly.
> I'm not sure of the mandrake repositories out there.
> The dag repository for redhat stays pretty up to date
> :http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/
> Here's one set of yum repositories I found for mandrake:
> http://speculation.org/garrick/yum.conf
>
> JD

JD,
Thanks for the feedback. I have heard about yum, so I decided on your
suggestion to try it, and downloaded the latest version, yum 3.0.
Unfortunately, it's a bit baffling. To begin with, the INSTALL file was
not encouraging:

    For usage information, please see the README.

    run make
    run make install, if you're a masochist.

    you're better off making an rpm and installing it

If "make install" is so bad, why do they provide it? And how should I
make this rpm? And what will making the rpm accomplish? I haven't a
clue! OK, so I tried the "make install" anyway. It _seemed_ to work.
Running yum gives this message:

    There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
    required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

       No module named yum

That's very interesting, since yum is what I allegedly just installed.
Perhaps I don't have the right version of python (mine is 2.3.3) - seems
like the most likely explanation for this snafu but I don't see any
documentation in the yum source which tells me what version I need.

In the FAQ file, I found this interesting tidbit:

    If you are getting a message that yum itself is the missing module then
you probably  installed  it incorreclty (or installed the source rpm
using make/make install). If possible, find a prebuilt rpm that will
work for your system like one from Fedora or CentOS. Or, you can
download the srpm and do a

rpmbuild --rebuild yum*.src.rpm

I didn't find any prebuild rpm's for my system, but I did see a source
RPM, which I downloaded, and I tried that rpmbuild. It spews a lot of
messages, but I can't see that anything actually happened under
/usr/src/RPM, nor does yum work any differently than besfore. Did the
previous operation actually modify the yum RPM I downloaded? Not sure,
but I tried installing it, which produces a tarball in
/usr/src/RPM/SOURCES. I unzipped and untarred this and now what?
Another make and make install? Why not?

Nothing's changed, though.

My conclusion: I've never seen a more muddled and confusing and utterly
useuless installation on any open source product!

Vaughn