OT: PHP_SELF

Author: Joseph Huber
To: plug-discuss
Subject: OT: PHP_SELF
OT so I'll keep this short and cross my fingers... LAMP set-up, a novice, a
particular page that I want to display a picture on (and only that page).
The following seems reasonable:

<?php
    if ($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] = "/index.php") {
        echo("blah blah blah html to include picture");
    }
?>

seemed reasonable. Only thing is (on the index page) on my box were I test
everything I'm not finding "/index.php" in the indicated variable. I'm
getting "/includes/stdMenu.php" which is the path to the script on my test
box. I plug a <?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?> into the footer that
appears on every page and upload that to my hosting provider and I get what
I expect... the path to the page I happen to be looking at: "/index.php" or
"/news/newsltr0609.php" etc).

I'm thinking this is a configuration issue. Not sure if it's Apache or PHP.
Can someone point me somewhere... I've been googling for the last couple
days and nothing I've foud seems to be related to my problem :-(

Stumped in Chandler