Re: Domain search without squating?

+ (text/html)
Author: keith smith
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Domain search without squating?
Does not sound like a rant to me. Accurate. It is a catch 22. I am thinking google will and I think in some ways google will give higher rank for 2.0 websites.

That should break those links sites.

Darrin Chandler <> wrote: On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 02:33:38PM -0700, keith smith wrote:
> Have you factored in inbound links? They are votes also.

I know that. I think you're missing my point. I am *not* courting search
engines. It's *their* job to find and index information, and return
valuable results. None of them are very good at it just now, though
Google is better than the rest. There are inbound links, but not nearly
as many as the mega sites. Which goes to show the folly of putting too
much emphasis on inbound links, because my site has actual information
on it and there's has none. Stressing inbounds links so heavily also
creates a positive feedback loop: people will only link to what they
find, and they usually only find things in the first few results. It's a
method that worked *brilliantly* when Brin & Page were starting out as
the underdogs and Google didn't influence the actual link popularity of
pages themselves. The situation now is suboptimal from almost anyone's
point of view (though it's not horrible).

Where I care about traffic I court the search engines, and do pretty
well. The fact that I need to consider that is the real root of the
problem. As long as I can (and must) do stupid silly things to my sites
so that Google will like me better, there's an opportunity for
exploitation. Heck, it's an invitation, not an opportunity. When I can
focus on the content and presentation, and have the search engines
reward me for *that* then they will have arrived, and it will be much
harder for web spam sites.

The rise of sites like del.icio.us and Stumbled Upon show a
dissatifcation with search engines and portals. They will probably have
to face mass exploitation some day, but for now they can provide *much*
better results in some circumstances.

Sheesh, I must be in a ranting mood today.

   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

Keith Smith
http://travelingcheese.com/search_engine/increase-search-engine-traffic.html