Re: Domain search without squating?

Author: Darrin Chandler
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Domain search without squating?
On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 09:09:22AM -0700, keith smith wrote:
> Where do you get your content for your sites?
>
> Darrin Chandler <> wrote:
>
> Domains are quite cheap, really. So you buy a domain (preferably an
> expired one) and put up a page chock full of related keywords, with
> Google ads. If you buy the right domains and have the right things on
> your page you can break even or make money. If the domain made money,
> reregister it, otherwise drop it. Automate, rinse, repeat.

I don't do this personally, but I've stumbled across plenty through
Google, etc. So I'm guessing where they get content...

You can infer content from links in. You can find the old content on
archive.org, Google's cached pages, etc. You can look at search keywords
in referer.

The most common thing I've seen is a "portal" page for whatever keywords
the site used to be about, and maybe with a "buy this domain" offer. By
portal I mean they gather up some related links (probably scraped from a
search engine) and include the first N words from the link destination.
This gets lots of nice keywords on their site, and links out to real
sites. To a search engine it looks legitimate. Plop some Google Ads on
it and there's a decent chance it'll pay for itself. Even if it doesn't,
you still help subsidize your speculation.

I've thought about scripting up something to do this so that it would
require very little time and attention. Maybe I will. But now the cat's
out of the bag. ;)

http://www.stilyagin.com/  |