Re: md5sum a dvd?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: md5sum a dvd?
Dazed_75 wrote:
> I downloaded ubuntu-6.06.1-dvd-i386.iso and verified the md5sum against
> that listed at the download site. I then burned the DVD and got no
> errors. One nice thing ubuntu has in the 6.06 release is a menu option
> (on booting the CD/DVDs) to verify the CD/DVD content. When I tried
> this, it shows errors for some files.
>
> Surely there could be a problem with the burn, but I was wondering if
> there is any way to md5sum the DVD? The only thing I could think of is
> to make a .iso from it and I do not know if that would even be expected
> to reproduce the original iso and match its sum.
>
> I realize I probably need to burn another DVD, but the question is still
> a valid one.

This is taken from a description of installing Fedore Core 5. Perhaps
it also applies in your case?

"There is apparently a minor bug in the installer causing some of the
installation CDs to fail the media test even though they are ok. If some
of your CDs fail, try again with "Linux ide=nodma" at the "boot:"
prompt. If they pass then, they are ok, but it's best to use the same
option when using them to install FC5. After installation, we'll remove
"ide=nodma" from /boot/grub/grub.conf when we add some other options."

Alan