Re: (no subject)

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: (no subject)
On Tuesday 26 September 2006 12:21, Alexander Henry wrote:
> keith smith wrote:
> > When you say open a connection are you talking telnet?
>
> Nope, SMTP. SMTP is a protocol which is just about as "open" as telnet,
> though. PERL has CPAN modules which "just does it".
> MIME::Entity->build() followed by Net::SMTP->new() then
> $smtp->data($mime->stringify()) then $smtp->dataend().

You need to be a little careful when talking about TELNET to differentiate the
protocol from the utility. You can indeed use the 'telnet' utility to open
an SMTP connection to an MTA. I do that all the time for testing purposes.

$ telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.