Re: Malware (Was: Re: (no subject))

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Malware (Was: Re: (no subject))
Kevin Brown wrote:
> Nothing wrong with an exe getting through. I, on occasion, send things
> to myself that are small executables (maybe its a perl script wrapped up
> with par, or a self executing zip file). Outlook, being the jacked up
> program that it is, just flat out blocks them.
>
> Blindly blocking all .exe, .zip, .<xxx> attachments is just an idiotic
> knee-jerk reaction. Much like banning violent video games because a few
> of the millions that play commit an act of excessive violence.

I tend to agree, but remember, one size does not fit all.

There are two ways that mail servers can block attachments, by file
extention and/or by MIME type.

It's easy enough to get around blocking of file extensions by simply
renaming the file (before attaching and after receiving). If the
sender/receiver isn't savvy enough to do that, then they probably shouldn't
be sending/receiving these types of files.

If the server blocks attachments by MIME type, simple renaming won't work,
because the server examines the attachment itself to determine what it is. I
suppose this might be useful in a corporate setting.

--
-Eric 'shubes'