Re: Enterprise Linux

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: Main PLUG discussion list
New-Topics: Re: plug] Re: Enterprise Linux
Subject: Re: Enterprise Linux
In the case of Linux distros, "Enterprise" tends to mean "will support it for
a long time". CentOS is "Enterprise" but doesn't *necessarily* provide any
sort of in-person support. What they do commit to, though, is that they will
send out security patches and updates for those packages for quite some years
(seven?).

In contrast, the Desktop Linux distros may have security updates only for a
year or two. This clearly won't work if you plan on running the same distro
on scores of machines for over five years.