Re: CUPS printing: server and client?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: CUPS printing: server and client?
Alan Dayley wrote:
> I need to configure printing from one computer to another. The computer
> that will be the server is running OpenSUSE 10.1 as is the client. The
> server has a USB printer attached and working just fine via CUPS.
>
> I tried to configure both the server and client with Yast2 but the
> client computer could not see the server. So, after the failure of the
> "tinkering with little knowledge method" I am looking for to do it right.
>
> Are there any good tutorials for this sort of thing? So far I have
> found a few that treat it as if there will be no problems. I'll keep
> looking.
>
> Any tips and hints are welcome. I'll get going on it again and post
> specific questions as I encounter them.

Well, that was easy after all.

Using this page http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/print/507
for hints, I confirmed the server setup under Yast. I then cranked up
the KDE print manager on the client and told it the IP of the server. A
few clicks and choices later I was able to print a test page.

Nice.

Alan