Re: Unable to login with new monitor attached

+ moreejt.vcf (text/x-vcard)
Author: JT Moree
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Unable to login with new monitor attached
Dazed_75 wrote:

> a console to do those things. Unfortunately the configuration file
> produced by X -configure failed the X -config ~/xorg.conf.new tests.

not surprising, it was never very good at detecting any of my settings.
1 time out of 100 it did ok.

> identified the monitor as being a CRT. Yet booting the unbuntu 6.06
> disk as a live cd works just fine. Hmmmm, think I will go do that again
> and look at what IT puts in the xorg.conf.

With the old monitor attached, try changing the settings to 60 Hz in the
gui config applet if you can. Then attach the LCD and reboot.

I dont think most distros allow configuring of X settings from Grub.
Knoppix and some live CDs do but . . .

If you cant fix with old monitor attached boot with the live CD and copy
the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file from the livecd instance to your hard drive.

I recommend backing up the configs that you have working in case you
need to roll back. I use /etc/X11/vidswitcher/config1 . . .
because I use a custom script to switch files based on how many display
devices are detected but whatever works for you.

- --
JT Morée
PC Xperience, Inc.

believed to be clean.

begin:vcard
fn:JT Moree
n:Moree;JT
adr;dom:Apt 1250;;500 N Metro Blvd;Chandler;AZ;85226
email;internet:
tel;home:314-368-6549
url:http://www.pcxperience.org
version:2.1