Re: Linux Java Development?

Author: Josh Coffman
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Linux Java Development?

--- Patrick C <> wrote:

[snip]

> On the grander scale, here is what I gather from
> your (everybody's advice):
> -focus on the language, or programming logic itself,
> but not the IDE
> -keep up with the advancements, as it can make
> things a lot easier.

A couple things to add:
1) Learn how to learn
2) Learn good design concepts

> Also, I know I'm already using the IDE as a crutch
> when I don't know the
> commands to run(compile?) Java source without
> clicking some sort of run
> button. What is the actual command for this?
>
> Also (again): does anyone have an opinion of GTK vs.
> Qt? The class prior to
> this was Windows Programming, which I assume was
> there just to learn some
> very basic programming concepts the easy way with
> vs.NET. In that class I
> made a simple GUI Hangman game. I'm interested in
> rewriting/cloning this for
> Linux, and I'm not sure where to start.

There is a project called grasshopper that will enable
vs.net applications to be ported to J2EE.

http://dev.mainsoft.com/Default.aspx?tabid=136

Mono is a .Net implementation for linux, but its not
completely compatable with win .Net.

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page