Linux Journal tip

Author: Shawn Badger
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Linux Journal tip
I don't know how many of you receive this weekly newsletter from Linux
Journal. They have a section called The Brain Trust which had a tip that
I never heard of for searching the history in a Bash shell. Here is the
excerpt from the newsletter:

THE BRAIN TRUST: READERS SHARE THEIR EXPERTISE

This week we have a contribution from Jim C.:

"In the technical tips section of your newsletter on 9/5/06, you
referred to
Bret's alias for searching bash history. Why create an alias when
bash
gives the user the 'reverse-i-search' and 'forward-i-search'
features?

At the command line, press Ctrl-R and see this appear on the screen:

                (reverse-i-search)`':

"Then press the characters of the search pattern desired, and bash
will display the nearest line from the current history position matching
the pattern. Press Ctrl-R again to search the next nearest line; press
Ctrl-S to search forward. Press enter to accept and immediately execute
the line displayed. Press a left or right cursor key to accept and edit
the line. Press Ctrl-C to abandon the search.

"Much simpler than searching through a possibly long list from a grep
search."

Do you have a useful technical tip to share with our community of
readers? Send your tips to . We'll send you a free t-shirt
for your efforts! Thanks!