Re: Testing Mono's compatibility

Author: Josh Coffman
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Testing Mono's compatibility

--- Joshua Zeidner <> wrote:

> > writes:
> > > Don't touch ASP.NET... its pure evil.
> >
> > Thank you for that wonderfully useful comment.
>
> No problem.

Here's an opinion from a a guy who uses PHP n a normal
basis. It's title "ASP.NET Sucks", but the title it a
little baiting.

http://blogs.katapultmedia.com/jb2/2006/08/aspnet_sucks.html

> > Our business frequently involves working with
> existing sites' codebases, and
> > that means what languages they've decided to
> adopt. If we can have a test
> > environment which doesn't involve requiring access
> to or meddling with their live
> > server, everyone's happy.

Ok, everyone porbably knows this. Mono doesn't not
support all the windows .net api (namespaces)

> Microsoft makes sure that it is far too costly to
> straddle that
> technological rift. Making sure there is little or
> no skills or code
> overlap is one way of making sure that people don't
> think twice about
> using their platform. Mono may work well right now,
> and broad
> compliance will be maintained until:
>
> 1) Microsoft gains a majority share in this market
> at which point
> they will then try to incentivize the adoption of
> their other
> technologies by offering selective compatibility.
> 2) Microsoft deems Mono+ASP.NET to be
> unprofitable.

With all respect, MONO is not an MS project. It is
open source and sponsored by Novell (who I don't think
of as MS fans.)

I'm not offended, but I don't agree that .Net requries
no skill.

[snip]

-j