Re: Linux Computer Names not found

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Linux Computer Names not found
On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 21:40 -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:

> On 9/5/06, Craig White <> wrote:
>         If samba is running on the Linux machine, it will broadcast
>         it's NETBIOS
>         name and be found by other systems IF the workgroup is the
>         same name. By
>         default, the NETBIOS name of a Linux system running samba will
>         be it's
>         host name (not the fqdn) but is configurable in smb.conf

> Perhaps it is a misunderstanding on my part, but I was assuming Samba
> was running simply because I am able to use the printers and shared
> disk space of the windows machines from ubuntu.

----
that is as a cups client - no registration of a netbios name with a
broadcast that I am aware of doing this
----
> If I click on Places/Network Servers in gnome, the resulting window
> shows an icon for the Windows Network and within that the workgroup
> name the windows machines share and within that the shared resources
> by name. But I have no other reason to believe Samba is actually
> running. I looked at /etc/samba/smb.conf and did correct the
> workgroup name. After rebooting machines (know I should be able to
> just restart the service but I do not know how), I see no change to
> either the Linux or Windows sides.

----
perhaps it isn't started at all...I believe in ubuntu, something like
'/etc/init.d/smb start' should suffice to start samba server - something
like '/etc/init.d/smb status' should tell you if it's running or not.
----

>         when you say editing c:\windows\system32\hosts, I am presuming
>         that you
>         are talking about Win95/Win98 since WinNT/Win2K/WinXP/Win2K3
>         would use
>         c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts or actually 'lmhosts'
>         for netbios
>         resolution.

> Actually in my haste to leave this morning I did leave the \drivers
> \etc\ off the path. I do use the hosts file there to successfully
> block many ad sites by directing them to localhost. I was blissfully
> unaware of lmhosts there however.

----
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts = tcp host names
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts = netbios names

different strokes for different spokes

Craig