Re: Server install tips?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Server install tips?
Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 19:36 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
>>
>> Eric "Shubes" wrote:
>>> On RH/Fedora you enter "linux text". I doubt it's the same on (K)Ubuntu.
>> The final answer here is to download the Ubuntu Server Install CD and
>> use it. I was just trying to avoid downloading another CD.
>>
>> CD downloading now.
> ----
> duh - remove one of the graphics cards...put it back in after install

Yes, good idea, Craig. Except...

The one working port is on a remote admin add-in card. The other is on
the main board and appears not to work at all.

The BIOS setup doesn't seem to have any effect on the boot issue. I
have disabled one or the other and various other iterations of settings
to no avail. If I remove the add-in card, I get no video. So, I tried
that solution but am stuck with a confused X on boot of Kunbuntu,
OpenSUSE or Knoppix. CentOS 4.3 handled it fine and can run a
workstation X on the add-in video.

Why change from CentOS then? Well, a Debian based distro is preferred
for this box because the group that will share administration duties
wants it. If I can't make it work, we can fall back to CentOS.

Alan